Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wet Wet Wet

Last Sunday night, or early Monday morning rather, I awoke to a familiar sound. Hana was whimpering and moving around in her bed. She wasn't crying, and I could tell she was trying to put herself back to sleep, so I tried to do the same.

Then I noticed there was something different from other nights I had woken to her whimpering. IN the midst of the noises, she was saying "wet".

Now let me tell you something about Hana that she will probably wish I didn't share once she's older - this girl pees like a fountain. We've had to put her in disposable diapers at night because she pees so much it was waking her up. We cut back on liquids, and she was able to stay drier through the day, but at night she'd still be soaked.

So I was preparing myself for a wet child, but sort of figured she was just practicing her new word in her sleep. I went in to check, and she was on her belly, bum in the air, trying to sleep. I rubbed her back and her bum and both we dry. Excellent.

Before I went back to bed I checked to see if she had her soother, she didn't, so I thought I'd pat around the bed looking for it.

My hand went into a puddle. I checked around some more. The whole front of Hana's pj's, the bed and her blankets were all soaked. And she was trying very hard to get back to sleep.

In fact she wanted so much to be asleep that she got quite upset with me for trying to change her. Have you ever tried to get a sleeper off a child while they're curled on their belly in the fetal position? Getting the new diaper on was also a bit of a struggle. Apparently she didn't want me to do anything about the "wet", she just wanted to let me know what was going on.

Needless to say, she spent the rest of the night in bed with us, and I will never again underestimate the power of a child's bladder.

No comments: