Thursday, December 22, 2011

Solstice

It's the holiday season. As I've grown up, and especially since I've had kids, the holidays are changing for me and meaning so many different things.

One thing that I've taken more time to consider and recognize is solstice. Winter solstice is the longest night of the year. It's a time when we remember that no matter how dark and cold things my get, the light will always return.

One of the reasons Christmas is placed at this time of year (because Jesus was not born in December and his birth wasn't even celebrated by the early Christians) is because of that idea - the light returning, the darkness melting away.

I like to take time around solstice to think about that - about what life is like in the darkness and cold, without hope and light. I remember that there are so many people in the world who live in that darkness, in the hoplessness. I remember that part of my responsiblility as a Christian is to be a light to those around me, in whatever way I can.

I know I'm a day late with this, but regarless, happy solstice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks For Sharing this Steph :)